About Me

My photo
I served in the U.S. Navy from June 1964 to September 1987, retiring as a Senior Chief Petty Officer (E8). I am a Vietnam War veteran. I worked for several DOD contractors, including General Dynamics/Bath Iron Works, until I retired on disability in 2004. I am rated as 100 percent disabled by the VA because of severe lung scarring most likely ccaused by asbestos exposure back in the 1960's. I lived in Jacksonville, Florida from 1987 to 2004, when we moved back to Texas to be closer to the grandchildren. I now live in Temple, Texas.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

BUY GIFTS FOR OLDER FOLKS

The main character in the OLD MAN SAYS series is an old man wearing a farmers straw hat. It is intended to be a caricature of me. I have a reputation for being an eccentric and very outspoken old man and I do not think that is necessarily a bad thing. I have tried to come up with quips and sayings that conservative older folks - like myself - can identify with.
 


 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a sixty-seven-year-old woman, but I hear you loud and clear! In my mind I'm 35-40, until I pass a mirror. My daughter took a picture at my grandson's birthday dinner and posted it on Instagram. I looked at and wondered who was the HAG sitting next to him! Damned if it wasn't ME! I pray I don't truly look like that to others, but what can we do. Time doesn't play favorites.
    My brother was (and is) a Marine Corps veteran who served in Viet Nam: 1968--19. My daddy was also a Marine in Okinawa WWII and I have nothing but love and respect for every soldier that served.
    I'm hoping you can help me: I'm writing a novel set in 1968 and finding technical information about the draft has been almost impossible. I need to know how men received their draft notices--through the mail or by telegram.
    If you can answer that for me, I'd so appreciate it. I may hit you up for other facts, if that's ok with you. Thank you so much--for this and for your service. God bless.

    ReplyDelete